I frequently meet clients within my Ballincollig Counselling and Aghada Counselling clinics that have lost the sense of themselves. They are not sure what is going on for them but are struggling with the feelings of powerlessness and have lost their own sense of personal power.
When you lose your personal power it can possibly lead to feeling some of the following:
- Everything feels a bit empty.
- Nothing seems to motivate or excite you.
- Can feel numb or cold on the inside
- Feeling despondent and may ask at times what is the point?
- Can feel unappreciated and emotionally worn out.
This can happen either after a traumatic event, or steadily worn down from the challenges of life or following on from a series of stressful life events.
Some of the contributing factors that can have an effect on our personal power are the:
- Continuously looking after the needs of others and not looking after yours
- Not feeling good enough or worth the effort of looking after yourself.
- Trying to please everyone around you, except yourself.
- Lack of Self Care – Not taking care of yourself on all levels – Physical / emotional/ Mental etc.
- Over dependant on the approval others
- Low Self Esteem and Self worth
- Enduring difficult, challenging and toxic relationships.
If some of these sounds familiar – well maybe it’s your time to get back that personal power.
What is personal power?
Personal Power is about making choices and acting from a place where we take charge of our lives and making positive decisions based on what you want, your inner strengths and worthiness.
Self – Empowerment and How to increase my Personal Power?
As part of the work I do with clients in my Ballincollig Counselling Clinic and Aghada Counselling Clinic, we work on the following to support the Self- Empowerment process:
- Begin to become more Self Aware of WHO you are in the here and now, and start to reconnect the relationship with yourself. Listen to your needs and understand yourself more.
- Start feeding my own needs on a physical, emotional, mental and spiritual level. The aim is have plenty of on the list of each of the main elements of Needs : Power – Control – Fun – Love
- Be more aware and take more control of your inner thoughts, patterns and processes. We need to Mind our Minds. Know my own mind and my ethics & values. Reduce your time scrolling on social media and listening to mass media news.
- Becoming more assertive about your needs and establishing healthy boundaries, in all types of relationships. Learning what are healthy elements of a relationship and what is not. Become aware of our own unhelpful behaviours and others that may not be so healthy.
- Learn to be more self-compassionate, become more self-aware of our thoughts, emotions and sensations. Be a bit more understanding and kinder to ourselves, begin to accept ourselves as we are human beings and live more in the present without judgment.